Episode 39: Dr. Ethan Weiss – The Secrets Behind Cholesterol
The Secrets Behind Cholesterol
The number one question I get when talking about the Keto Diet is always about the big C word…Cholesterol.
Will I have high Cholesterol?
Could I have a heart attack?
To nip all the questions and bring you some medical insights around the topic of Keto and Cholesterol, I’ve brought Dr. Ethan Weiss on the podcast. Dr. Weiss is a cardiologist and the associate professor of medicine at the University of California in San Francisco. His special interests include preventive cardiology, genetics of coronary disease, risk assessment, and heart disease in the young.
We bring you on a mini crash course through Lipidology, breaking down why we need cholesterol, the different types of cholesterol, how women and men are different when it comes to cardiovascular disease and the Keto Diet, and the alternate diet options for individuals who don’t respond well to Keto.
As always, I’ve prepared my show notes for this episode that has all my recommendations and references in preparation for this episode. I highly suggest getting these particularly for this episode, we got nerdy! If you’d like to get access to the show notes just head over to EXTRA MAGIC
- 00:00 Intro
- 08:00 Dr. Ethan Weiss’s Origin Story
- 10:00 Why Do We Need cholesterol?
- 16:00 What Are LDL’s & Their Role In The body?
- 20:00 LDL Cholesterol vs HDL Cholesterol
- 27:00 Lipoprotien (a) Defined
- 33:00 Coronary Artery Calcium Score
- 41:00 Working With Cardiologists
- 50:00 Men vs Women: Cardiovascular Disease
- 1:00:00 Men vs Women: Keto Diet
- 1:06:00 Dr. Ethan Weiss’s Keto Diet Journey
- 1:13:00 Misconceptions Around Keto
- 1:16:00 Alternate Options For Poor Keto Responders
- 1:21:00 Dr. Ethan Weiss’s Diet & Routine