Episode 40: Kara Lowewentheil – Retraining Your Mind
Your brain can be an unfair advantage if you know how to use it
Master Certified Life Coach, Kara Lowentheil joins us on the podcast for a special episode on how you can turn your mind into a superpower. Just to be clear, these are not divine goddess mantras (even though, let’s be honest, I dig those too!). These are practical steps that you can do right now to help reframe the way you approach problems, anxiety, self worth, and self doubt.
Kara has B.A. from Yale and a J.D. from Harvard Law. Her previous career was as a women’s rights lawyer. So the frameworks and skills we spoke about are rooted deep in cognitive psychology-based techniques and feminist theory.
If you’re like me, the brain can seem an errant little child. The good news is that there are some amazing techniques, when learned appropriately, can shift your mindset and thoughts to work more for you than against. Here are just a few of the massive takeaways from this Better Episode:
- Understand where our beliefs come from
- Learn skills to overcome cognitive biases
- Learn skills for overcoming imposter syndrome
- The framework for neutralizing any negative thoughts
As always, I’ve prepared my show notes for this episode that has all my recommendations and references in preparation for this episode. I highly suggest getting these particularly for this episode, we got nerdy! If you’d like to get access to the show notes just head over to EXTRA MAGIC
- 00:00 Intro
- 08:00 Where Do Our Beliefs Come From?
- 14:00 Overcoming Cognitive Biases
- 21:00 Overview: Women & Imposter Syndrome
- 25:00 Techniques For Imposter Syndrome
- 48:00 Fostering Your Desires
- 51:00 Releasing Your Shame
- 1:02:00 Stress Triggers & The COVID-19 Pandemic
- 1:12:00 Overcoming Self Improvement Shame